The Learning Centre is a large space in which the real business of learning takes place. It is a hub of learning, ideally centrally located if not physically at least pedagogically (at the centre of learning)
The concept of a learning centre is to provide an inspirational atmosphere conducive to creativity and independent learning. Far from being just another classroom, a successful learning centre must be well planned to incorporate many elements that support the learning and the learning environment in a welcoming work area. While these centres will need to be designed with the needs and limitations of specific campuses in mind, the general design and benefits of the Learning Centres are itemised below.
The Learning Centre...
• supports a self-directed learning model
A ‘Learning to Learn’ Centre is:
• a space that students use during their studies
• a space where students learn through doing
• an open space with few fixed partitions
• a space designed to be as flexible as possible
• a space that places at its centre learning by students rather than the teaching by teachers
• additional to conventional lesson space
• a central space containing the primary learning resources, including technological resources, books and teachers
• a space in which students can access their assignments via Moodle or similar LMS
• designed for maximum visibility but minimum sound disturbance
The ‘Learning to Learn’ Centre contains:
• A variety of learning spaces
• small glassed-off areas for small group and one-on-one tuition and for student conferences with off-site teachers
• other areas for a variety of learning and working opportunities
• the teacher work-room, so that students can access teacher assistance with their assignments and the teachers can model working patterns
The use of up-to-date video conferencing equipment for campus-to-campus communication and specialist subject teaching was introduced in 2006 and has been a great success in broadening the subject range for senior students as well as in making best use of our human and material resources nationwide.